A variety of safety measures have been put into place at the Channel Islands Harbor’s Farmers Market, which will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. this Sunday.
The Farmers Market is operated by Raw Inspiration, Inc., a business that runs more than 20 markets throughout Southern California. Here is a special message from Raw Inspiration regarding safety measures:
We want everyone to know that we are doing everything we can to keep everyone in our community safe and healthy.
We have made immediate changes to our markets. These changes will be in effect until further notice.
- We are banning all food-sampling.
- ALL vendors are to use gloves and hand washing stations or hand sanitizer.
- Vendors & Patrons – Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth (especially after handling money)
- Each farmer will display signs asking the public not to pick up and handle the product, to only touch what they are going to buy.
- We will be suspending all performers, musicians, kids’ crafts, kids activities such as petting zoos or bouncers.
- We will have signs throughout the market encouraging and reminding customers of social distancing.
- We will be changing the layout of the Farmers Market to accommodate better social distancing practices.
- Any vendor or customer who is sick, remain home and do not come to the Farmers Market.
- Customers, remember to wash your food when you get it home.
Each of the above items are in addition to the recommendations of the California Department of Public Health.
We will be removing all seating from the Farmers’ Markets as well. We urge everyone to refrain from shaking hands, hugging, and to keep the 6-foot recommended social distancing from your fellow Farmers Market patrons.
We want to take a moment to remind everyone of the benefits of shopping for nutrient dense produce, fish, chicken, eggs, grass-fed meat options and other healthy food options from small family farms and vendors:
- Fresh Produce rich with vitamins & nutrients essential to maintaining a healthy immune system
- Low Risk, open air environment allows for social spacing of 6 feet.
- Sunlight provides a powerful, natural disinfectant and exposure to Vitamin D
- Food directly traveling from the farm is handled at a much lower rate than in commercial systems. Most farmers market items are harvested and packed by only a few people within 100 miles or less, Brick and mortar grocery stores often import internationally, tend to have a multitude of persons and places involved in product handling, packaging, wide distribution networks of travel, multiple transit points in international and regional hubs.
- Farmers Markets are the 1st line of defense, to keeping people healthy. We should be opening more Farmers Markets, not closing them at this time.
Editor’s Note: this story was published on March 20, 2020.