Summer might be over, but the activities at the Channel Islands Boating Center (CIBC) were strong in September and are ramping up in October.
The CIBC, located at 3880 Bluefin Circle Drive in the Harbor, provides educational and recreational opportunities for youth and adults of Ventura County, the CSU Channel Islands community and others from around the state.
Here is a list of the groups the CIBC worked with last month.
- On September 6, 47 students from the Isbell Middle School in Santa Paula engaged in a kayaking activity through the NOAA B-WET Grant – 47 students participated.
- Boys & Girls Club met weekly on Fridays for stand up paddle boarding and kayaking. This marks the third year the club and the CIBC has been in partnership. The Boy & Girls Club sends approximately 12 children each week.
- On September 7, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ventura County visited the center for teambuilding and kayaking activities. 17 Bigs and Littles participated in the event.
- The CIBC sent two student assistants to the Annual Youth Involvement Fair operated by the Boys & Girls Club and handed out over 60 free life jackets. The event was held at the Boys & Girls Club facility off of 5th Street in Oxnard.
- The CIBC hosted the waterfront portion of the Statewide Coastal Cleanup initiative where participants kayaked through the harbor and collected trash.
- There have been several VC community members involved in each scheduled class such as Sailing 101, Intro to Sailing, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding. The CIBC hosted 12 waterfront opportunities for the community to engage in weekend classes in the month of September.
- The CIBC hosted several CSUCI groups to teambuilding and kayaking activities such as student support services, housing residential and education, the promoting achievement through hope organization, and more.
October 2019 Waterfront Classes at the CIBC
Harbor residents and visitors interested in participating in recreational activities through the CIBC in October have a variety of options. Here is a list of waterfront classes open to the community:
- Intro to Kayaking:
- October 12 from 10 a.m. – noon
- October 25 from 10 a.m. – noon
- Sunset Kayaking
- October 5 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- October 27 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding:
- October 12 from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- October 26 from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Stand Up Paddle Harbor Clean up:
- October 19 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Sailing 101:
- October 18 – November 8 meets once a week on Friday’s from 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- October 19- November 9 meets once a week on Saturday’s from 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Sailing 201:
- October 18 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
For more information about how to participate in the classes, please visit the CIBC website (http://www.ciboating.org/) or give them a call at 805-437-2628