Students and visitors who use the Channel Islands Boating Center (CIBC) always know they are in for a special treat.
The CIBC, located at 3880 Bluefin Circle Drive in the Harbor, provides educational and recreational opportunities for youth and adults of Ventura County, the CSU Channel Islands community and others from around the state.
Here is a snapshot of the activities held in October.
- The CIBC hosted CI’s student Programming Center and provided team building waterfront activities to support the goals of their retreat.
- The Education Opportunity Program (EOP) and CIBC partner each year for EOP Day at the Docks. This year 30 students enjoyed the entire day engaged in team building games, kayaking tour of the harbor and an introduction into Stand Up Paddle boarding.
- The CIBC hosted the California Annual Aquatic Center Directors Meeting on October 10 & 11. The Division of Boating and Waterways meeting rotates between northern and southern California locations to provide updates to grant application processes, center/program reports from grant recipients, and information regarding boating education. The meeting was held in the upstairs classrooms.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Oxnard and Port Hueneme visited the boating center on Friday, October 4, 18 and 25 sending youth between 8-15 for a kayaking experience.
- Due to high winds, a class of 35 students from Port Hueneme High School had to reschedule their October 11 kayaking adventure.
- Sunset kayaking classes filled up with participants on October 5 and October 2. Sunset kayaking is a favorite among CI students and Ventura County residents.
- Girl Scout Troop #6500 had an adventurous day at the boating center on Friday, October 18 engaging in land based team building games and kayaking tour of the harbor.
- The popularity of the California Coastal Cleanup prompted the CIBC to add a Harbor SUP clean up on October 19. Our next kayaking cleanup is on November 9 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m..
- The CIBC hosted CI’s Veterans Affairs Students to a safe sunset kayaking experience on October 20.
- The CSUCI Martin V. Smith School of Business & Economics hosted a social with local Ventura County business partners and CI Faculty on the upstairs deck on October 26.
- The Ventura County Office of Education and CSUCI’s School of Education hosted its first National Center for Teacher Residencies (NCTR) meeting in the upstairs classroom on October 22.
- CSUCI hosted a day at the CIBC for Family Day where 61 participants went kayaking on October 27, 2019.
For more information about the CIBC, please visit the CIBC website (http://www.ciboating.org/) or give them a call at 805-437-2628.