The Elite Theatre Company is proud to announce its upcoming production of The Latinx Experience: Featuring Journey of the Skeletons, A Dia de los Muertos Story – a play by Dr. Max Branscomb directed by Juliana Acosta. The Experience runs for five weekends, beginning with classes and workshops the weekend of September 9th.
The play will run each weekend beginning on Friday, Sept 16th with a final performance on Saturday, October 8th. Sunday October 9th will be a Dia de los Muertos Community Celebration. Each performance weekend will also feature a variety of Latino Artists from the community, including dancers, poets, storytellers and musicians. Showtimes are Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. with a special Thursday performance on October 6th, at 8 p.m. General admission $20; $17 for Students, Military & Seniors. Special group rate of 5 people at $10 per ticket. First weekend workshops led by Mr.G from the Inlakech Cultural Arts Center.
Journey of the Skeletons: A Dia de los Muertos Story is a heart-warming comedy that follows a Latino family as they prepare to connect with their loved ones who must pass through the underworld to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. However, as fate would have it our beloved characters encounter challenges on their journey including the Lord of the Underworld herself.
- Sept. 9 & 10 at 8 p.m.: Papel Picado & Marigolds Craft Workshops w/ “Mr.G” — FREE
- Sept. 11 at 2 p.m.: Sugar Skull Craft Workshop w/ “Mr.G” — FREE
- Sept. 16 & 17 at 8 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Sept. 18 at 2 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Sept. 21, 6:30 p.m.: Sneak Peak at the Camarillo Library — FREE
- Sept. 22, 5:30 p.m.: Grief Workshop in English and Spanish — FREE
- Sept. 23 & 24 at 8 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Sept. 25 at 2 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Sept. 30 & Oct. 1 at 8 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Oct. 2 at 2 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Oct. 6, 7 & 8 at 8 p.m.: Journey of Skeletons and Community Artists
- Oct. 9 at 2 p.m.: Dia de Los Muertos Community Celebration — FREE
The Elite Theater Company is located at 2731 Victoria Ave, Oxnard, CA 93035. Adult admission is $20 with discounts for Seniors, Students and Military at $17. Groups of 5 or more are at $10 per person. All proceeds from the Thursday performance will be donated to UNICEF for the children of Ukraine.
NOTE: The Elite Theatre Company is adjusting its policy regarding COVID safety. While proof of vaccination is no longer required for audience members, we ask for cooperation, and request that unvaccinated audience members wear proper protective masks while inside the theater building. ALL volunteer staff and crew at The Elite must show proof of vaccination and boosters, and will continue to wear masks for the protection of our audiences, staff, and artists; this policy shall remain in effect until further notice.
Editor’s Note: this story was published on Aug. 30, 2022.